Monday 1 August 2016

Episode 15: No Way



Lea had been dreading lunch with John ever since he had called earlier in the week, she knew exactly what was going on and had been trying to steel herself against the inevitable conversation.

John was already at the table at the fashionable Egerton House in Knightsbridge when Lea entered.  A glass of scotch firmly set in front of him, when he saw her enter he stood, his smile was warm and genuine, she had always been his favorite he thought as she walked toward him.  “Gorgeous as ever” he exclaimed as they embraced. 

She ordered a glass of Chardonnay to help calm her nerves, and it was John who first broached the subject.  So, your mother tells me you’re heading out to Hanoi to see Bill, he said nonchalantly.

Yes, she said a little too defensively for her own liking.  “Well, I’ve got holidays and I thought why not," she went on.  John’s expression didn’t change but she knew it was coming, she could feel it.

Have you spoken to Bill about it?  I thought you two parted on bad terms he went on.  No, I thought I would surprise him she said breezily.  But if you parted badly what makes you think he wants to see you John persisted.  

Lea’s confident look belied her self-doubt as she sat there in silence.  Her emotions began to get the better of her as her lower lip began to tremble and her eyes began to fill with tears.  “I was a stubborn fool and I lost the best thing in my life,” she said through tearful sobs. It was more serious than he thought as he moved around the table to console her. 

“Ssshhh, it’s going to be okay” he said as he held her, her body trembling and tears moistening his collar.  

“Will you help me?” she begged.  John closed his eyes and nodded, “of course I will,” he said, but even as he said the words he knew that it was a mistake…








No comments:

Post a Comment